Friday, March 1, 2013

Quick Takes #12

Number 12: A Week in My Life

In trying to have a theme for this week's 7QT, let me reflect on the past week. Yes, I'm copying what Trista did, but hey, it's a good idea! :) And most of the days involved medical personnel...which looking back, is making me chuckle...

1. Saturday: Chris wasn't at work! He had to switch with someone--so he went to help his dad with firewood and I tooled around but more importantly, I called my new Creighton instructor. We had a LOVELY hour and a half phone conversation, and will be doing our follow ups via Skype and phone. She's older, and a mom to four girls, which I think will be VERY helpful in making me feel more confident with my observations, vs. the early 20 something flakes that I had worked with before. (I'm sure I'll write more about this at some point).

When Chris got home, we decided to order and watch Argo on TV. I really enjoyed it and I want to find out more about the entire hostage situation. Remember, I was an American Studies major/History minor! And I made homemade pizza for dinner--by the way, I highly recommend using chimichurri instead of red sauce!

2. Sunday: First up, Divine Liturgy of course. It was different last week, as there was a Deacon participating in the DL, along with our priest, Fr. Tony (Yes, he's Italian, well, Italian American. Yes, he's ByzCath. Yes, there are ByzCath's in ITALY). Oh, and yes, Chris was there too, serving. It was his first time serving DL with a Deacon; he hadn't even attending a DL with a Deacon since he was a little boy. He really enjoyed it, even though he didn't get to chat for long with Father Deacon; Chris is discerning his call and would have liked to have talked with him, especially on the balance of church-home-work-other stuff.

I think we just hung out the rest of the day. I made a roast turkey which fed us for two more days. Even now that I'm home, I still enjoy the batch cooking concept. In the afternoon I watched movies on TV--half of The Social Network and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (both which I hadn't seen)--and folded laundry. At night I watched the Oscars. I'm not usually an awards show person, but this year I'd seen a bunch that were nominated--Les Miserables, Lincoln, Argo, so I actually felt like I had more at stake.

3. Monday: I woke up with the most bizarre pain/discomfort in my neck, and ended up at the chiropractor, who I hadn't seen since I was in college. An hour later, I was feeling completely better. Now I have more exercises to do, to help strengthen my shoulders and back, so that my neck doesn't get thrown out of whack again.

Also on Monday, I started feeling itchy, but didn't think much of it...

4. Tuesday: HA. By Tuesday morning, I was an itchy, miserable mess. No rash, no hives, no bites. Very bizarre. Apparently I was so bad during the night, I kept waking up Chris. Oops. Suddenly my mom popped into my brain and I put myself into a baking soda bath to see if that would help, along with mild soap, followed by almost half a tube of cortisone cream, used like lotion. And of course, we had no Benadryl in the house, so off to the pharmacy. The rest of the day was a blur...or haze? But we all slept much better that night, thank you Benadryl! This was also the three month mark of my unemployment and was a little bummed about that...
5. Wednesday: I was still "hung over" from all the antihistamines, so I skipped the gym but ran a few errands. I didn't do much else.

6. Thursday: Back to NYC to see my NaPro doctor for a little procedure to help clear some things up. I don't want to gross anyone out that might not be familiar with all of the intricacies of NFP or Creighton, so I won't go into vivid details. It was pretty quick, 5 to 10 minutes and was less painful than having a cavity filled. Now we wait and see if my signs get clearer ;-) If you know anything about NFP, then I'm sure you will get where I'm going, especially the word CLEAR.

The trip itself was quick too--I left the house at 9:20 and was back in the door by 5:50. Seems like a waste of a day in the city, when last time I had more time to enjoy things. This time, I only had an hour to get lunch/kill before my appointment, and I was done and back at Grand Central less than an hour after I walked into the doctor's office. In fact, I was home still well before Chris and had dinner on the table waiting! A real dinner, including rice that takes 45 minutes! Lucky me to have booked an appointment on his late night AND he ran an errand after work.

And now we have no Pope. I'll be honest, I've never been connected to a Pope, the way many people are, but it's a very interesting time to be a Catholic, that's for sure. I have another post coming up about this.

7. Friday: Today is still on going, but my day started out with a visit to my primary doctor for a blood pressure check in. She was happy to see that I'd lost 17 pounds since I'd last seen her in October, but more importantly, she's willing to see about me titrating off of the blood pressure meds. Of course, not for a few more months, but she's confident I will get to that point. Yay!

Then to the gym, where I hadn't been in a week, but Shane was kind and didn't push me too hard. Then back to the chiropractor, where I was given even MORE exercises to work on... Home where I've been tooling around, not doing much, but I do have some freelancing stuff to work on and some personal housekeeping nonsense.

Chris works late again tonight and then he has to be in at 8 on Saturdays so Friday nights are usually very quiet. It's OK, especially me being home; we just have a different weekend than others.

BONUS. Saturday: Tomorrow I am having breakfast with one of my friends, M. I met M in college and she only lives about a half hour away, so we try to get together every now and then. I don't see her as often as I like, and she has a busy life in her own way--teaching sixth grade language arts and living with/helping her elderly parents (no really, her dad is almost 80, while mine will be 61). It will be nice to get out and socialize, since I miss doing that.

One more thing: could you please pray for a different M and her family? She went to have her 20 week ultrasound yesterday and the baby had passed. She delivered her little boy, G, early this morning.

Have a great weekend!

Don't forget to visit Jen over at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!


  1. During Christmas when we visited Bryan's family, I chewed children's Benedryl like crazy...and slept 10 hours every night! You really do get "hungover."

    Thanks for linking to me! Enjoy your visit with your friend.

  2. oh, so sorry to hear of your friend who lost her baby. :( Definitely will add a prayer for her.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend!


Speak up!