Monday, May 30, 2011

Where I've been

I didn't think I'd disappear from blogging for over a week. I was making such good progress at keeping this up to date.

Here's what's been going on in our house for the past few weeks and what's been keeping me from blogging.

1) Turtle got laid off. At first, it was just a threat of a possible layoff. Then it was definitely coming, just didn't know when. Then, it happened. It'll be 2 weeks this Thursday since his last day. I'll be writing more about this over the next few days since I am now an expert at being the wife of a laid off individual. (Yes, this is not the first time he's been laid off.)

2) I went to New York on business. Given that you all know that I work in publishing, it's really no big secret as to why. BookExpo America was last week, which is the biggest trade show for the publishing industry.

3) I won an iPad while I was in NYC--it was a giveaway at one of the events I attended. No, I am not typing this entry from there. I wish! It's arriving in a few weeks, since it was ordered following the giveaway. I didn't get any other free stuff that one might get at a trade show. Besides booze and food, I mean. :-)

4) Our gardens are coming along amazingly. Pictures to come! Our main vegetable garden is doing great, our vegetable garden behind our garage (just beans & peas) are sprouting already, the perennials we planted around the house have transplanted well. I even got Turtle to dig out the area around our mailbox and planted perennials there as well.

5) I've been casually searching for a new job for the past few months, even with DH's job situation on the fence. Oddly enough, while in NYC, no sooner than a half hour before I won the iPad, I got a call from another local publisher about an interview, which I scheduled for this week. I will not be jumping ship from my current job unless the offer is wonderfully awesome, because of DH's unemployment. We'll see how this goes.

6) Our firewood pile fell over. The pile made it through the feet of snow we received over the winter, a blizzard with 60+ MPH winds, heavy spring rains...and what happens? After planting Friday night, DH sits in a lawn chair, maybe 50 ft from it, and looks at it. Five seconds later, it came crashing to the ground. Good times. We rebuilt our racks, re-stacked the wood, and it should be good to go. But who likes re-work?!


  1. Sorry about Turtle's job. :(

    I am sorry to admit that I did laugh at the woodpile falling because I could just picture it happening, and it reminds me of something that I would do. ;)

  2. I remember you saying a while back how much Turtle's job was stressing him out, so it sounds like this may be somewhat of a blessing, even if it's not a fun position to be in right now.

    Congrats on winning the iPad--you will love it! I am trying hard to win one before I leave my job and have to give up my work one :)

    Glad to hear your garden is doing well! Mike is trying to brainstorm what he can grow on our balcony--hopefully he's not too late to plant things.

    Hang in there!

  3. Thanks I-girl--and yeah, it was just so freaky-weird, I stood there in disbelief when I saw what happened. Seemed impossible! Thankfully my BIL & FIL came over and helped us put it back together.

    Jessica--I am trying to see the silver lining in this. Right now, it's not so bad. But who knows? I don't think it's too late to plant anything--when we rented and had a little deck, we had some pretty big tomato plants!


Speak up!