Monday, May 9, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Working Rabbit

About a month ago, I wrote a post about what I did when I stayed home one day, taking care of Turtle, following his wisdom teeth surgery. You can read about that here.

Tonight, while waiting for the husband to get home from work, I thought I'd write about what my day was like today. So yeah, two posts in one day. Bonus!

6:15 to 7:10--Alarm goes off, roll out of bed and into the shower. Check weather, pick out clothes, pet/play with the cats. Iron said clothes, get dressed. Throw on mascara, foundation, concealer since yes, at 31, I still break out. Put gel in hair. Head downstairs.

7:10 to 7:30--Put on electric kettle, pull out things for lunch. Go down to cellar, grab can of soup for today's lunch, pull chicken out of freezer for tomorrow's dinner. Also grab English muffins. Debate about having one for breakfast. Decide to keep it light--banana and a cereal bar in the car. Throw chicken in the fridge, make coffee, get stuff together, take out small bag of trash, leave.

7:30 to 8--Drive to work, while drinking coffee and eating said banana and cereal bar.

8 to 10:30--Get to work, check email, update an RSVP list for a party my company is throwing in two weeks, start working on collecting book reviews about our titles (I do this weekly, and I'm a week behind, sigh), IM with coworkers, update a spreadsheet with my work for the week prior to our weekly department meeting, post to company's Twitter account. During this time I also drink a smoothie that I made yesterday and eat another cereal bar.

10:30 to 11:45--Weekly department meeting. Go over tasks for the week, discuss some issues, figure out ways to get things done. Usual meeting nonsense. Zone out during my coworker's portion of the meeting since everyone is talking about a trade show that I'm not involved in.

11:45 to 12:50--Back at my desk, yay! Check email, continue working on reviews, do some follow up work that came out of the meeting, most posting to Twitter. Chat on Gmail with a friend for a few minutes.

12:50 to 1:30--Leave the office for lunch, which is really me going to Walmart. Gobbling an apple on my way there, I get everything on my list: toilet paper, paper towels, cat litter, conditioner, and dishwasher soap. Get a few other odds and ends, including hamburger rolls for tonight's dinner. Also, for the very first time, I bought diapers. My work is sponsoring a diaper drive for a local diaper bank.

1:30 to 2--More emails, more reviews work.

2 to 2:15--Meet with head graphic designer about a consumer promotional email we're going to be sending this week. Give him the specs for the image that I need created.

2:15 to 5--More emails! Finish up the reviews work (there were a lot this week, a rarity), heat up my can of soup around 2:30. Work on another consumer promotional email. Follow up with other departments about tasks that are pending. Around 4, I eat a mini bag of microwave popcorn.

5:05 to 5:45--Drive home, very angry about something I read in an email towards the end of the day. Try to rationalize why the sender (one of the owners) wrote what they did, and plan to talk with her on Wednesday when she's back in the office.

5:45 to 6:15--Finally home! Unpack car, get mail. Bring everything inside, unpack things and put them away. Hop online for a bit. I had planned on going on the treadmill for a half hour and then outside to plant some things, but that didn't happen. I was so annoyed and upset by that email and some other things, I just needed to veg.

6:15 to 6:25--Father in law calls, he forgot it's Turtle's late night (again). Chat with him a bit, he asks about the layoff situation, I tell him that I don't know what to say, really. In the meantime, I'm watering plants that are on our back deck which we bought on Saturday and are waiting to be planted.When we hang up, he sounds depressed. I don't blame him.

6:25 to 6:55--Write today's other blog post.

6:55 to 7--My mom calls, thanking me again for a great dinner yesterday.

7 to 7:30--Back online, reading blogs, checking email, etc.

7:30 to 8:30--Shut down computer. Turn on washer, start filling tub. Light grill, then run upstairs for dirty clothes, throw them in the washer. Throw the turkey burgers on the grill, come back inside. Clean out litter box, dustbuster the stray litter. Also dustbuster the furballs that have accumulated on the stairs. Check the grill. Put chicken in cold water to defrost for tomorrow. Fold laundry that was drying on rack. Start boiling water to steam broccoli ahead of time for tomorrow's dinner. Prep broccoli, check grill. Turkey burgers are done, put them in the oven to keep warm. Set table, pulling out everything we'll need for dinner--salad, dressing, condiments. Slice an onion. Take notes on what I did so far today for THIS post. Turtle comes home, very very drained, mentally and physically because of what's going on at work these days.

8:30 to 8:45--Turtle goes upstairs to lie down for a few minutes. The laundry has finished--I put some in the dryer and hang up what doesn't go in the dryer (our work clothes) on the drying rack. Pull broccoli off of heat, let cool.

8:45 to 9:15--Turtle comes downstairs, we eat. He goes back upstairs.

9:15 to 9:30--Put food back in fridge and dirty dishes in dishwasher. Run dishwasher. Put chicken back in fridge (it's now thawed out), followed by the broccoli. Pull laundry out of the dryer. Wipe down table and counter.

9:30 to 9:45--Back online to type this up.

I don't know what's going to happen next. TV? Read? Bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!