Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Clean the fridge, then go shopping

How many of you look at your refrigerator and think, "I should really clean that thing."

But when, right? Maybe you think of doing it while you're putting a car load of groceries away.

Maybe you think of it when you're going to have guests over, and you have to remember not to tell them "oh help yourself to some drinks" because you don't want them seeing the bit of spilled spaghetti sauce that has become a fixture to the shelf. But you don't have time to clean it before they arrive, there are THINGS TO DO.

Confession: I don't clean my fridge very often. Luckily, it's not too gross either, but sometimes, it gets a little dingy. If you read my slow cooker incident a few weeks back, when the sauce had bubbled over onto the outside of the insert (if you're confused, my apologies!) it also got on the bottom shelf of the fridge. And yeah, guess who didn't clean it up right then and there? Go me!

Yes, I am lazy. I fear for my future children.

Anyway...tonight I am going grocery shopping. On Sunday, I decided to go Tuesday (today). Which gave me last night (Monday) to clean out the refrigerator. Why haven't I done this before? It really makes perfect sense!

By the way, I have done the "oh crap, I have a car full of groceries, but the fridge is nasty, the food will be OK while I scrub down the inside." Luckily for me, and for Turtle, the food didn't spoil. We're still here.

Last night was probably the best time to clean out the fridge. I think this is the emptiest the fridge has been in a few weeks, maybe months. There wasn't much to move around or take out. I moved everything to one area, wiped down all of the empty shelves, moved everything back to where it really goes, then wiped the remaining dirty shelf. I also wiped out the drawers--meat, veggies, fruit.

The only thing I didn't do was the door pockets. They were pretty full--salad dressings, jam, pickles, oyster sauce, ketchup, sherry wine...you name it, we probably have it.

What a difference it made! Almost looks brand new. Did I mention I did this last night, around 9:30? Yeah, I'm a little out there when it comes to proper times to do chores. But it is done. Me, some Dr. Bronner's, hot water, rags and a bucket.

If we can keep it looking good until after Christmas, I might just let some guests help themselves ;-)

1 comment:

Speak up!