Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Updates...

Wow, almost a month has gone by since my last post. I always post these types of things--I should post more, I've been so busy, etc. I love writing, so you'd think I'd be better at this? Oh, here we go, another beating up myself type of post!

The real story is that often times I'll think of a great topic, but when I have time to actually write it, the idea is gone, or the force behind why I was motivated to write said post is gone. It's sad. Or, I don't want to be on the computer at work. Or, I get home and I have things to do. Like endless shoveling. If you've been paying attention to the weather in the Northeast, we've been walloped with storm after storm. I haven't worked a full week in the office since before Christmas. If all things go well, this week will be the FIRST WEEK that I am in the office ALL FIVE DAYS! It's crazy. The best was the storm that dumped so much snow that it was over my knees...and I'm 5'7"!

Quickly here is what's been happening with me:

1. Job interview--while I liked them, they apparently decided to see other people. No second interview, no offer. Moving on...but I don't see much that interests me right now.

2. Work--I feel like they are not going to replace my boss. My coworker and I have been handling responsibilities for the department well, and I know my company really watches the budget carefully, so I would not be surprised if they decided to keep things at they are right now. I know there were a few "close" candidates, but obviously they didn't work out.

3. Turtle--he's enjoying his new schedule, although his workload has increased significantly due to a coworker leaving. He misses good weather and is in that strange quiet period between hunting and fishing seasons. He's planning our garden and is anxiously anticipating starting seeds in the basement.

4. Sewing class--I LOVE THIS! The instructor is brillant--so helpful and patient. I am in a class with two other ladies--one is probably 10-15 yrs older than me, married, no kids of her own (she mentioned a stepson), and the other is in her late 50s/early 60s, she had grandchildren and one of her daughters was 2 years ahead of me in college, but I didn't know her. You might think "small world" but a lot of people from this area go to my college, even though it's in another state. (It's Catholic and shares its name with the city it is located in, which is also the capital of the state. And yes, there are two possible answers, haha!) So no real friend opportunities, but they are nice people, which helps.

Everyone works at their own pace, on their own projects and she's very good about incorporating lessons into each step of our projects. For instance, the apron I am making has very simple instructions. To help me learn a bit more, and to make the apron look a bit more polished, she is giving me other steps to master. After I finish the apron, we're going to work on a quilt that I found. It's not finished, it's just the top--no batting, no bottom side. Just the quilt pieces in blocks, all stitched together. I found it in a trunk of my great-grandmother's--no one knows who made it or when. There is hand stitching and machine stitching, so that makes it even more interesting. My teacher thinks that someone made all of the blocks, and then later on they were put together. I need to post pictures of this process. It will be amazing! I'm also thinking of making curtains/shades for our bathrooms. I have an idea in mind--it will be similar to a Roman shade, but not really. I came up with the design on my own, and sketched out my plan...and tried to explain it to Turtle. I think it'll work; I'm excited to try it out.

5. Projects--besides sewing that is. Back in January, I dropped off a bunch of things at the local Goodwill. This one was an actual store, not just a drop off trailer, and I was curious about what was inside. I don't think I'd ever been in one, or if I had it had been years. I was also inspired by what Sarah at The Strength of Faith found at HER Goodwill.

I found a mirror too. I got it for $7, it's wood, very old, but in great shape. It needs to be stripped of its old varnish and then refinished. I think it will look great in our guest bedroom, which has my grandparents' beds (yes, they slept in twin beds!) and a pair of dressers from the same era which my mom bought at an estate auction for $10 total, then refinished. She intended to keep the dressers (and the beds) at my parents' house, in my old bedroom, but she changed her mind and gave all of the furniture to me for my house. I also need to take pictures of these things!

I'm working on picking paint colors...it's a process! I've taped up the little cards that I've stolen picked up from Home Depot and it has helped...a bit. I'm down to 4 colors for the kitchen--all lovely neutral beiges! I have a color for the half bath (a tan color, almost caramel?) and am now working on the master bathroom (probably a grey). What's throwing me off is the tile in the bathrooms, since they have patterns and it's hard to discern one color from them--pictures to come. In the kitchen, it's the countertop--it's mostly a greyish green, but there are flecks of brown and white and maybe beige? I'd really like to start painting. I think I'll do the half bath first, but there needs to be some demo work, including covering where the roof leaked with Kilz and ripping down the horrid wallpaper border!

There's always something to be done...if only I had more time! Which is a common refrain, or so I hear ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up!